We’ll Match Your Contribution
Name of Contributor: Robin Oegerle
Member Organization: Gator Band Alumni Association
Background: Served as President for two terms and worked hard to make “giving back to the Gator Band” a priority.
INTRODUCTION TO ISSUE
How can you get alumni to contribute money for their University band? Make it easy and offer a match to their contributions. The organization changed the online registration form for Alumni Band weekend to include a line to contribute to the band. It appeared at the end of the form where they pay for tickets and registration. Above that spot in bold letters is “A donor will match your contribution up to a given amount.” We found that this encourages giving. Since we implemented this change the amount raised at Alumni Band Weekend through this process has increased every year.
The solution addressed the following issues that made it difficult to receive contributions.
- It wasn’t easy. You had to think about giving, then write a check, find and envelope and stamp and mail it.
- Finding an incentive to contribute
THE OPTIONS CONSIDERED
- We had to change the way we collected money for alumni band weekend.
- We had to find a volunteer to do the match
THE OPTION TAKEN AND REASONS WHY
- Match with donor.
The Gator Band Alumni increased its contribution to the Gator Band through the weekend giving option every year since it was implemented.
THE COST INVOLVED
WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THIS OPTION TO OTHERS
- Yes, you have nothing to lose!
- The “Story” is an attention grabber!
WHY THIS TOPIC IS OF INTEREST FOR A VIRTUAL ROUNDTABLE
- Fundraising option that works.